Super Bead Filter
The ultimate Bead filter system is the mother of all other Bead Filter Systems.
Two models now available
Small - For Ponds Upto 4000 Gallons - 37.5 kgs Bead Media
Large - For Ponds Upto 8000 Gallons - 75 kgs Bead Media
These bead filters may well be one of the best bead filters on the Market today.
Shape of the SuperBead Filter
The sand glass shape of these Superbead Filters make them easy to recognise.This shape is necessary to get a laminar flow which is as high as possible, in a way that the floating bed keeps steady. Hereby the debri are caught on their way and after this helps the biological processing work. A beadfilter processes very much feeding, as well mechanical as biologic. This is the result of a high effectively and the usable surface of the beads (1300m2 a m3). Between that the dirt is removed quickly due to the good washing system without destructing the biology of the filter. Using this technique just makes your biology more active again. Rotting can not take place in the filter because of the unique shape without dead corners.
Suspended solids of ponds
One of the most underestimated factors in a Koi pond are the Suspended Solids. These are the small debri of food-residues , faeces, algae and other eventual external factors who make suspended solids in your pond. This high level of Suspended Solids enrages a fish in capturing oxygen.The easier the breathing of a fish the healthier it will be. This is not only positive in case of the health but also the growth of the fish. These continuous soil which is going to be transferred by the biology, takes very much of the available oxygen (O2) from the water. By way of removing all soil particles before they dissolve or convert, the water will stay in optimal condition. SuperBead Filters removes provable really small suspended particles out of the water.
The removing of TSS (Total Suspended Solids) from the water when passing the filter once is:
100 percent of all soil from 50 micron and higher
60 percent of all soil from between 20 and 50 micron.
50 percent of all soil from between 5 and 20 micron.
The removing of TSS (Total Suspended Solids) during a one time pass of the pond water through the filter is (1 micron = 0.001mm).
Pumps and Energy Saving
The only way to influence the quantity of TSS is by changing the water flow through the filter. The efficiency of the filter is at the highest level at the indicated water quantity.
One of the biggest advantages of the SuperBead filter compared with other Bead Filter Systems is the required pump pressure. The Bead filter is designed to use low pressure pumps like Red Devils. Many other systems need twice as much pump pressure to put the same amount of water through the filter.
The correct pump capacity:
The pump capacity is related to the volume which a pump can deliver at one specific head of water. The head of water normally is given in meters or bar (1 meter head of water is 0,1 bar). There is an pressure loss (lose from head of water) over the filter bed (Beads) of approximately 0.01 to 0.05 bar (same as 10 to 50 cm head of water). Especially when the filter back washes the resistance over the filter bed grows a little. This also has to do with the total soils in the pond. These values are tested under maximal resistance. It is recommended to assemble a pressure gauge after your pump: in this way you can see how much pressure there is after the pump and changes in this pressure.
The filter housing is allowed to get maximal 0,8 bar pressure. More pressure is not allowed. Most pumps which are used in a pond do not reach this pressure level (1 bar is 10 meter head of water). It is also not efficient to use such high pressure pumps. These pumps only use unnecessary energy and this makes the running costs very high.
The table survey gives recommended pump capacities in terms of maximal flow. When you have longer pipework or other pressure rising in your total system that do not use a pump with an low head of water. The maximal efficient pumped water quantity may not exceed the 1,5 meter a second. I+A products advises to hold the pipes as short as possible. For a calculation of the total resistance you can look at our website where is an article about resistance in PVC.
By a flow speed of 1,5 meters a second, the next water quantities will come out:
50 mm / 1 1/2" maximal 9 m3 a hour
63 mm / 2" maximal 15 m3 a hour
75 mm / 2,5 " maximal 20 m3 a hour
90 mm / 3" maximal 30 m3 a hour
110 mm / 4" maximal 35 m3 a hour
• A low energy saving pump (saves 50-80%) by absence of an 6-way valve.
• No need of external air pump for back washing.
• The area of the beads is 1300 m2 pro m3. Not only if you have new beads, also after years.
• You can upgrade to SuperBeads, this ones have an machined surface for higher pollution flares.
• A Super bead Filter is very compact: a surface of 80 x 80 cm is enough for koi ponds up to 90.000 liter.
• Laminair flow through the medium, in case of the washing neck, and because of that more effective soil removing.
• Through the fast and efficient removing of the Suspended solids, there also arises less protein, ammonia, nitrite, phosphate and nitrate in the pond.
• A Gentle washing process prevents damage of the biological side during a washing.
• The use of water during a washing is reduced to a minimum.
• Solids directly moved out of the filter (water) during a washing.
• Better level of oxygen in the pond due to a good suspended solid removal.
• These Filter remove waste particles to 5 micron (0,005 mm) for maximal brightness in the pond.
• The filter bacteria are working under optimal conditions and take care for efficient dilution of ammonia and nitrite, even in unusual heavy used ponds.
• Very easy to control: When washing the system only open one valve, let the filter deflate, close the valve again.
• Easy to automate with the optional automatic valve: all the cached waste goes automatically to the drain.
• Because the Bead Filter is a complete closed system, it is easy to install indoors.
• When using an automatic valve, the biological side of the filter stays alive three days after a power failure.
• Also suitable for swimming ponds and normal ponds.
• Super Bead Filters are suitable for fresh and seawater
• The Bead Filter is completely made from plastic and it is an fixed filter: this means no moving parts which can wear.
• Large inlet 3”
• Large outlet 3”
• These Bead Filters only use LDPE beads which also can be used in the food industry.
• These Bead filter can be used above and under water level.
• The maximum resistance of the SuperBead Filter is less than 0,1 bar (1 meter head of water).
• The filters don’t have dead corners or places where debri pile up and anaerobic bacteria (pathogenic agents) originate.
The Super Bead Filter have been sold for many years - Proven in practical situations!